Make the perfect crispy sweet potato cubes every time with this easy sweet potato air fryer recipe. All you need is four simple ingredients, an air fryer, and 20 minutes!
Why I Love This
If you’ve ever wondered how to cook sweet potatoes in the air fryer, it is quick and simple! Making air fry sweet potatoes is one of our favorite ways to make this favorite tuber because it doesn't heat up the kitchen and is quick and mess-free.
You also can adjust the seasonings to fit your meal and taste preferences, making the options for this recipe nearly endless!
This recipe makes the best sweet potato cubes, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. You will love their caramelized flavor and simple, yet delicious seasonings.
Pop the sweet potato in the air fryer while making your main dish for easy dinners any night of the week! They made a great side dish paired with air fryer chicken drumsticks, air fryer salmon, or air fryer garlic steak bites.
Sweet Potato – choose 2 medium sweet potatoes that are bright in color and firm with smooth skin. If you can’t find sweet potatoes, garnet yams can also work in a pinch.
Olive Oil – extra light olive oil is best when using an air fryer because it has a high smoke point. Alternatively, you can use avocado oil or grapeseed oil.
Black Pepper – ground black pepper adds a fragrant punch to the sweetness of the potatoes. For the best flavor, use freshly ground pepper.
Garlic Powder – use finely ground garlic powder. You can alternatively use garlic granules if you have them on hand.
Tools You’ll Need to Make This Recipe
- Air Fryer – I love to use the Cosori Air Fryer.
- Air Fryer Basket Lining – you can use air fryer parchment paper, a brush of olive oil, or nonstick cooking spray.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
Preheat the air fryer to 400º F (200º C). Prepare the air fryer basket by lining it with parchment paper, brushing it with olive oil, or spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
Rinse sweet potatoes under cold running water. Pat them dry with a towel. Remove the skin by peeling the potatoes with a vegetable peeler.
Cut the skinned potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cubed potatoes, olive oil, and spices. Mix with a spatula to evenly coat the potatoes.
Add the seasoned potatoes to the prepared air fryer basket in a single layer, making sure not to overlap any of the cubes for even cooking.
Air fry the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, tossing halfway through the cooking time, until crispy. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Pro-Tips For Making This Recipe
- Preheat the air fryer. Before you prepare the potatoes, preheat your air fryer at the recommended temperature. This will help cook the potatoes faster and make them crispier because the air fryer will already be at the needed temperature. If your air fryer model does not have a preheat option, no worries! The recipe still works well.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. If you cannot lay the potato cubes in a single layer in the air fryer basket without overlapping them, cook in several batches. Crowding the air fryer will prohibit the potatoes from cooking evenly and getting the delicious crisp edges!
- Flip halfway. Flip the potatoes halfway through the recommended cooking time so the cubes cook evenly on all sides. It is also a good opportunity to check on the potatoes and gauge if you need to reduce or increase the amount of cooking time.
- Serve right away. The best part about this sweet potato air fryer recipe is the crispy edges of the potato cubes. The potatoes will soften as they cool, so serve them immediately for the best texture.
- Adjust the temperature and cooking time as needed. This recipe was made using the Cosori Air Fryer. If you're using a different air fryer, you may need to adjust your cooking time accordingly. Furthermore, smaller potato chunks will cook faster than large ones.
- Optional: recipe variations. Switch up the seasoning on the potatoes if desired. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or Herbes de Provence for light herbal notes; season with ½ teaspoon cumin and chili powder for a Southwestern finish; dust with ground cinnamon before cooking and finish with 1 tablespoon of maple syrup before serving for a sweet and warming flavor profile.
Storage and Reheating
Allow leftover cooked sweet potatoes to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Reheat them in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes or in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until heated through. Leftovers can also be stored in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Serve these crispy sweet potatoes with your favorite dipping sauce, such as ranch dressing, sriracha mayo, ketchup, or garlic aioli for a mouthwatering appetizer or a game day snack. These sweet spuds also make a versatile side dish and are delicious served with air fryer pork tenderloin, air fryer blackened salmon bites, or even air fryer country style ribs. Alternatively, sprinkle them on your favorite salad or grain bowl for extra plant-based flavor, or enjoy them alongside air fryer vegetable kebabs or air fryer bacon wrapped asparagus for a delicious veggie-forward feast!
This roasted sweet potatoes air fryer recipe only takes 20 minutes, cooked at 400º F. That is a fraction of the time it takes to cook potatoes in the oven, which can take up to one hour!
Yes! While I recommend using fresh sweet potatoes for the best flavor, you can add frozen sweet potatoes to the air fryer and cook as directed. Just keep in mind that you may have to add a few minutes to the cooking time to achieve the same golden-caramelized result.
The perfect crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes in under 20 minutes! This easy 4-ingredient recipe makes a delicious side to any meal, a great addition to salads, or a tasty healthy snack with dipping sauce!
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these other air fryer sides.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
Check out our book, available in stores and online!
Looking for more ideas and others to connect with? Join our Facebook community with over 2 million members and counting!
Jump down to the COMMENT section and tell us what you think about this dish! We would love to help and also appreciate your candid feedback on all of our recipes.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- 1 Air Fryer
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1.5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 400º F (200º C). Prepare the air fryer basket by lining it with parchment paper, brushing it with olive oil, or spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Rinse sweet potatoes under cold running water. Pat them dry with a towel. Remove the skin by peeling the potatoes with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the skinned potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cubed potatoes, olive oil, and spices. Mix with a spatula to evenly coat the potatoes.
- Add the seasoned potatoes to the prepared air fryer basket in a single layer, making sure not to overlap any of the cubes for even cooking.
- Air fry the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, tossing halfway through the cooking time, until crispy. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
*Nutritional information is a calculated guesstimate. Please note that this can change with different brands and modifications you may make to the recipe. For the most accurate information, use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands and measurements you're using with each recipe.