When I got my air fryer I was excited for all that it could make even better and easier than using my oven. Little did I realize just how easy it would be to make a large dinner with little effort.
That's why I love making this Air Fryer Whole Chicken and serving my family an excellent dinner.
I was nervous about trying a whole chicken in the air fryer at first but wanted to see if it was possible to make such a large item in my air fryer. All it takes is a few ingredients and then I put my chicken in the air fryer and let it do its thing.
While it cooks I make some sides to go with it and usually have a little time to help with the kids' homework.
Making chicken in the air fryer
This chicken comes out with crispy skin and is juicy inside, the perfect chicken. You can serve it as your meal or you can shred the chicken for another recipe, it really is a multipurpose recipe.
Once the chicken is prepped I just have to rub the outside of the chicken with the seasonings and let it cook. I just put it in the air fryer and walk away.
I know that my family will have a healthy meal without me having to spend hours in the kitchen.
How to make Air Fryer Chicken
While the air fryer is pre-heating I prepare the chicken by removing any innards. Then I rub the seasonings on the outside of the chicken and put it in the air fryer breast side up.
After 10 minutes I flip the chicken over and cook another 40 minutes.
Once the timer goes off I use a food thermometer to check and make sure it has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit. If it is not at 165 degrees then I cook it longer in two-minute intervals. Once it is finished I remove the chicken from the basket, cut, and serve it.
FAQs about Air fryer chicken
I use the Cosori 5.8 quart and it's the perfect size for a 4 ½ - 5 lb. chicken.
Yes, let it thaw for 20 - 30 minutes at room temperature and add additional time to the recipe if needed.
No, you do not need to use oil. These are the Best Oils for the Air Fryer if you choose to use one. Just spraying a bit will go a long way.
There are so many delicious options to go with Air Fryer chicken, I like to use my air fryer to make the sides as well, and then I don't have as many dirty dishes. Some of my favorites are Air Fryer Potatoes, Air Fryer Asparagus, and Air Fryer Parmesan Brussel Sprouts. If you really want to make dinner special make these Air Fryer Cake Mix Cookies for dessert.
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES
- Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Air Fryer Pistachio Crusted Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Asparagus
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer
- 1 4-5lb Whole Chicken
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit. One preheated, prepare the liner of the basket with non stick cooking spray.
- Clean the chicken and remove any innards that are in the cavity of the chicken. Rub the seasonings all over the chicken, covering it well.
- Place the seasoned chicken into the prepared Air Fryer basket, breast side down, and cook for 25 minutes. Then flip the chicken to cook breast side up, and cook for an additional 40 minutes.
- Before removing the chicken, check the temperature by inserting a thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken breast. If the temperature reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit or higher you can remove it from the Air Fryer. Otherwise, add an additional 2 minutes of cook time until the temperature has reached 165 degrees.
- Store leftover chicken in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Reheat leftover chicken in the Air Fryer at 280 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes, or until the chicken is reheated through.
- Use any leftover chicken for additional recipes and for meal prepping.
*Nutritional information is a calculated guesstimate. Please note that this can change with different brands and modifications you may make to the recipe. For the most accurate information, use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands and measurements you're using with each recipe.