Air Fryer Trader Joe's Orange Chicken is so crispy and full of orange flavor! The air-fried chicken is a delicious meal done in less than 15 minutes! It's a game changer for busy weeknight dinners, or when you just need an easy family meal.
If you are looking for simple air fryer chicken recipes, you will love this Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe. A few of our other favorites, are Air Fryer Pesto Chicken, Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs, Naked Air Fryer Chicken Tenders, or Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken.
Looking for more? Check out this article where we share our favorite top 50 air fryer chicken recipes.
These extra crispy orange chicken pieces make a perfect quick dinner idea that beats takeout orange chicken from a Chinese restaurant, without the need for deep frying.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
You can find a package in the freezer aisle at a Trader Joe's grocery chain. If you can't find Trader Joe's brand, you should be able to find other brands of frozen orange chicken from your favorite grocery chain store near you, in the frozen aisles.
You can also make your own sweet Mandarin chicken from scratch with skinless chicken breasts, orange juice, and corn starch, with this easy Air Fryer Orange Chicken recipe. This is a favorite Chinese food recipe! You can choose dark meat chicken or white meat, and it can be done in no time!
Making air fryer frozen food is one of the best ways to use the air fryer. When you have comfort food cravings, you don't have to settle for just frozen chicken nuggets! The hot air cooks even raw chicken from frozen to dinner ready, much faster than any other cooking methods.
1-22-oz package Trader Joe’s Mandarin Orange Chicken-(One bag makes 5 servings)
Remove the unopened orange sauce packet and place in a small bowl of hot water. Set aside.
Place the amount of frozen pieces of chicken you want to prepare, in the air fryer basket or on a baking sheet in a single layer. Do no stack or overlap the frozen chicken.
Air fry at 380 degrees F for 13-15 minutes. Use tongs to flip the pieces over halfway through the cooking time. Chicken is done when crispy with an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Once the chicken in done, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Pour the thawed orange chicken sauce over the chicken, and toss together until well coated.
I make this orange chicken air fryer recipe in my Cosori air fryer, and 13 minutes was the perfect cook time. Keep in mind not every air fryer oven has the same wattage, and air frying time may need to be adjusted. The best way to confirm doneness of chicken is to check it's internal temp.
- If you are making a large batch that doesn't fit in your basket without stacking or overlapping, air fry chicken in batches. If the chicken is stacked, it won't air fry evenly during the cooking process and can be undercooked, or burn.
- Placing the packet of sauce in hot water gives it time to thaw and it will stay warm when ready to toss with the chicken.
- Use an instant read meat thermometer to confirm the internal temperature. Once it reaches 165 degrees F, remove from the air fryer.
- For a crispier coating, once you toss the chicken with sauce, return to the air fryer for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over a bowl of rice with vegetables, then divide into separate containers for an easy meal prep lunch for the week. It's a great source of protein, and by dividing it, you can keep track of calories.
- Garnish with few sprinkles of sesame seeds, chopped green onion, or mandarin orange peel, for an extra bit of flavor.
Change the sauce ingredients for a variety of flavor combinations. Skip the frozen sauce packets, and toss the crispy chicken pieces with a honey glaze, honey mustard, dark soy sauce, or even a teriyaki sauce.
STORING AND REHEATING
Store leftover orange chicken in an airtight container. Keep covered container refrigerated, and discard after 3-5 days.
To reheat the chicken, return to the air fryer and air fry at 380 degrees F for 3-5 minutes, until the chicken is warmed through. You can also reheat in the microwave. Just place it in a microwave safe bowl for 2-3 minutes.
You don't need to thaw before air frying. One of the best things about using an air fryer is that you can cook frozen foods straight from the freezer. The air fryer will make them crispy.
If you try to air fry the whole bag, and your basket is on the smaller side, the air may not have had enough room to circulate properly. This can cause the coating to not be crispy. If you have pieces stacked or overlapping, the part that is covered will not cook properly.
One 22 ounce bag of frozen chicken has five servings in it. So depending on how hungry someone might be, you can feed 4-5 people with one bag. Air fryer broccoli (or steamed broccoli), cauliflower, brown rice, white rice or fried rice, all are delicious chicken side dishes, which makes it a complete meal.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes:
Looking for the BEST accessories to use with your air fryer? We've put together this list of our favorite Air Fryer Accessories.
We Would Love to Hear From YOU!
Let Us Know What You Think!
Be sure to leave a review of this recipe and give it a star rating. It lets us know how we are doing and lets others know they should try it!
Tag Us In Your Photos! Are you on Facebook? If so, join our Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group (with hundreds of thousands of Air Fryer Foodie Fans!) and share your photos! We love to see your creations.
Have a Question or General Feedback?
Jump down to the COMMENT section and let us know! We would love to help and also love feedback on all of our posts.
Air Fryer Trader Joe's Orange Chicken
- 1 Air Fryer
- 1 Package Trader Joe's Mandarin Orange Chicken
- Remove the unopened orange sauce packet and place in a small bowl of hot water. Set aside.
- Place the amount of frozen pieces of chicken you want to prepare, in the air fryer basket or on a baking sheet in a single layer. Do no stack or overlap the frozen chicken.
- Air fry at 380 degrees F for 13-15 minutes. Use tongs to flip the pieces over halfway through the cooking time. Chicken is done when crispy with an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Once the chicken in done, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Pour the thawed orange chicken sauce over the chicken, and toss together until well coated.
*Nutritional information is a calculated guesstimate. Please note that this can change with different brands and modifications you may make to the recipe. For the most accurate information, use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands and measurements you're using with each recipe.