Air fryer onion rings are so easy to make. They have all the flavor of fried onion rings, just without the added grease. This will be your new favorite air fryer snack!
We love onion rings, but my husband doesn't like the greasy taste they have after being deep fried. When I made these onion rings in the air fryer, he was pleasantly surprised at how good they tasted.
They are very easy to make, and this recipe is very basic, with just a few ingredients. You can eat them dipped in ranch, or plain with just a little sprinkle of salt on top. And best of all, they are done in no time at all in the air fryer.
What you need to make Onion Rings in the Air Fryer
Most of the ingredients you need to make these onion rings, you will most likely already have on hand. Besides an air fryer, you will need:
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- bread crumbs
One medium to large onion will make enough onion rings for at least 4 people to have as a snack. You are going to love this recipe, because it cooks in about 6 minutes, so they are the perfect quick snack.
How to make Air Fryer Onion Rings
To begin making the onion rings, the first thing you need to do is slice the onion into 1/4 inch strips. Remove the center of the onion and then separate the slices into individual rings.
Next, you will place the onion slices into a large bowl or Ziploc bag. Add 1/4 cup of flour and toss or shake the slices, coating each piece.
Then, in a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, baking powder, and the remaining one cup of flour. Add the bread crumbs and salt into a second bowl. Dip each coated piece into the egg mixture, then dip into bread crumbs, like Progresso, until coated.
Lightly coat the air fryer basket with olive oil, or use air fryer parchment paper, then place each coated piece into the air fryer basket, until the basket is full. Don't overlap or stack the rings.
Cook using the Air Fry option, at 380 degrees for 6-8 minutes, or until the outside coating is crispy.
FAQ's About Air Fryer Onion Rings
What kind of air fryer do you use to make your onion rings?
We like to try different air fryers. Our family owns a few, in fact. We have a small Dash Air Fryer, which is perfect if you are making small batches. I also like the Cosori 5.8 quart, or the Instant Vortex 6 quart air fryers.
Be sure to check out the Top 10 Air Fryer Questions blog post we put together, comparing air fryers and answering common air fryer questions.
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES:
Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Air Fryer
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Slice the onion into 1/4 inch strips. Remove the center of the onion and divide the slices.
- Place the onion slices into a large bowl or Ziploc bag. Add 1/4 cup of flour and toss or shake the slices, coating each piece.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, baking powder and the remaining one cup of flour. Add the salt and bread crumbs into a second bowl. Dip each coated piece into the egg mixture, then dip into the bread crumbs, until coated.
- Lightly coat the air fryer basket with olive oil, or use air fryer parchment paper. Place each coated piece into the air fryer basket, until the basket is full, without overlapping or stacking the rings.
- Air fry at 380 degrees for 6-8 minutes, or until the coating is crispy.
*Nutritional information is a calculated guesstimate. Please note that this can change with different brands and modifications you may make to the recipe. For the most accurate information, use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands and measurements you're using with each recipe.