Air Fryer Pesto Pinwheels are filled with ham, pesto, and parmesan cheese, then wrapped in a buttery and flaky pastry. And they are super easy to make with just four ingredients!
I first made these 4-Ingredient pesto pinwheels years ago, when I needed an easy appetizer for a holiday party. They were an instant hit. Now, they are our favorite appetizer and my family expects them more often, as a party food or for game day parties.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE AIR FRYER PINWHEELS
You are going to love this recipe because there is almost no prep time, and they are ready in 15 minutes. The green pesto and ham combine together for a bite of flavor! And because they only need four simple ingredients, they are so easy to make too!
Making these pinwheels in the air fryer is a perfect quick lunch or small meal. They are filled with ham and cheese flavors, that even the pickiest eaters will love!
If you love these in the air fryer, try a few other finger foods and perfect party snack foods, like Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings, Air Fryer Pizza Rolls, Air Fryer Mini Pizzas, or Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THESE PINWHEELS
To make these air fryer pinwheels, the simple ingredients you will need:
- Frozen Puff Pastry-The puff pastry will wrap your fillings in a golden flaky crust. You will only need one sheet unless you need more appetizers.
- Basil Pesto-This delicious sauce is full of flavor! Spread a thin layer on your pastry sheet for the base sauce and these pinwheels will melt in your mouth!
- ham slices- I like to use honey ham or black forest ham. You can choose your favorite flavors.
- Shredded or grated parmesan cheese-the parmesan cheese combined with the ham and pesto make these pinwheels have an Italian flavor.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER PINWHEELS
To make this recipe, you will want to begin by thawing one puff pastry sheet. Once it's thawed, roll it out into a rectangle shape.
Next, spoon the basil pesto sauce of the puff pastry sheet, covering as much as possible. Lay slices of meat flat, and then sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of your pinwheels.
Starting with the long end, tightly roll the pastry. Cut the roll into twelve- 1-inch pieces, and place them in a single layer in the air fryer basket, with the cut side down. You can lightly brush the basket with olive oil, use air fryer safe cooking spray, or line it with air fryer parchment paper.
Air fry at 350 degrees Fahrenheit with a cooking time of 12-15 minutes, until they are golden brown. Once they are done cooking, you can sprinkle parsley flakes on top and then serve.
Do not crowd or overfill the basket. If you have pinwheels too close to each other, they won't be able to cook properly.
You can make these ahead of time for a party, and just air fry right before serving.
It's so easy to change the flavor of these pinwheels by swapping out the fillings. Here are a few of our favorite options:
Pizza pinwheels-Spread pizza sauce on the pastry sheet, and then top with shredded mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, or other favorite pizza toppings like ham and pineapple or sausage with bell pepper and onions. You can also make these half and half for variety.
Vegetarian pinwheels-Leave out the ham and add your favorite veggies or change the sauce from basil pesto to a sauce with sun-dried tomatoes. To make it more filling, you can also add more cheese!
Cheese pinwheels- Add your favorite cream cheese spread and add seasoning like ranch seasoning, Italian seasoning, or everything bagel seasoning.
STORING AND REHEATING
These pinwheels are best when first made. If you do have leftovers, store them in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
To reheat, place in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes until the pastry crisps again.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can refrigerate the prepared roll for up to five days. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, or store in an airtight container.
You can make this recipe with either fresh or frozen sheets. To keep this a simple party appetizer, I use 1 pre-portioned sheet that is frozen, and then save the other sheet in the freezer.
All air fryers are different and may have different wattages. Start with 10 minutes the first time you are making this recipe, and then add 1-2 minutes at a time until the puffs are golden brown.
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES:
You will love making these pinwheels in the air fryer for an easy snack or meal! Once you make them, they will be one of your favorite party appetizers!
Check out our book, available in stores and online!
Looking for more ideas and others to connect with? Join our Facebook community with over 2 million members and counting!
Jump down to the COMMENT section and tell us what you think about this dish! We would love to help and also appreciate your candid feedback on all of our recipes.
Air Fryer Pesto Pinwheels
- Air Fryer
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet
- 2 tablespoon Basil Pesto
- 4 ounces Black Forest Ham About 8 Slices
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese Shredded
- Thaw one puff pastry sheet, and roll it out into a rectangle shape.
- Next, spoon a thin layer of basil pesto sauce of the puff pastry sheet, covering as much as possible. Lay slices of meat flat, and then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Lightly brush the basket with olive oil, or use air fryer safe cooking spray. You can also use air fryer parchment paper.
- Starting with the long end, tightly roll the pastry. Cut the roll into twelve, one inch pieces and place them in a single layer in the air fryer basket, with the cut side down.
- Air fry at 350 degrees F with a cooking time of 12-15 minutes, until they are golden brown. Once they are done cooking, you can sprinkle parsley flakes on top and then serve warm.
*Nutritional information is a calculated guesstimate. Please note that this can change with different brands and modifications you may make to the recipe. For the most accurate information, use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands and measurements you're using with each recipe.